Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Clone Wars Birthday Cake






Being a child of the 70s myself, and having a 2-year old son, I was not real familiar with the Clone Wars saga. (Make no mistake, I've watched the Star Wars movies hundreds of times!) So after some internet research and a coloring book purchase, I came up with this design for a 4th birthday cake. The cake was Cookies & Cream with vanilla custard filling. I frosted the bottom layer in blue and piped white borders. The cake on top was modeled after a gunship (special request from the birthday boy). I carved the top layer of cake into a ship and covered it with white fondant. I added fondant and food marker details, as well as wings made out of gum paste. The "guns" and light sabers were the only inedible items; I used long crystal toothpicks and stuck them in the molded fondant. For the sides of the bottom cake, I made 4 characters (one for each side) out of fondant and food markers. Yoda and the Stormtrooper were a cinch with my cookie cutters (Well, at least the faces. The rest I had to just cut myself). Anakin and Obi Wan were a little harder (I had to mold them entirely by hand). I wanted to add a "4" for the birthday boy, and I thought I should add "May the Force be with you", so I combined them into one galactic birthday wish. Hopefully they didn't end up with a ton of cake leftover (that sucker was HEAVY when it was all done). Well, I guess there are worse things...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. May the 4th be with you. I love it!