Friday, January 8, 2010

Birthday Cake for Baby Jesus






This cake was for a fellow mom from my daughter's preschool. She shared with me her family's tradition of getting a birthday cake every Christmas and singing "Happy Birthday" to Baby Jesus. I thought it was so cute, and I was excited to do this special cake. I wanted to do some elegant Christmas decorations around the cake, but then I thought it would be fun to add the guest of honor! So I built a manger and a blanket-wrapped baby out of fondant. The "hay" was flaked coconut tinted with cocoa powder. And I drew in the baby's face with a food marker. The holly leaves I cut out of fondant and painted with a luster dust to get the glittery green color, then added Red Hot candy "berries". The poinsettias were also fondant with gold dragees in the center. And the rest of the decorations I piped with frosting. The cake was my signature "Chocolate Chocolate Chip" (the recipe from which the rest of my cake recipes are based...a family favorite). It was so much fun, and a really special way to end my cake baking season!

No comments: