Sunday, January 31, 2010

Baby Dessert Buffet!






What is a baby shower without dessert? (No fun.) I considered making a big fondant cake for my pregnant friend, but she was so excited at Christmas time when I started offering the mini cupcakes that I decided to go this route. Her reasoning (and mine) was that at a party, when I bring cupcakes, she has to commit to just one flavor. With the minis, it is socially acceptable to eat 2 or 3, so you get to sample several flavors. I am a big believer in the "sampler platter" concept as well, so I thought, "what could be cuter than a huge buffet full of mini (uh-hem, "baby") desserts for a baby shower?" The answer: nothing! I even went so far as to make tiny fondant decorations to top the mini cupcakes (little flowers, bottles and onesies). But woman cannot live on cupcakes alone, so in addition to the 7 flavors of cupcakes that I made, I also brought brownie cheesecake bites, coconut macaroon cookies, lemon raspberry bars, homemade chocolate truffles, and baby blackberry tartlets. The cupcakes were as follows: lemon cake with cream cheese icing, vanilla cake with vanilla icing, chocolate cake with vanilla icing, chocolate chocolate chip cake with peanut butter icing, champagne orange cake with vanilla icing, red velvet cake with cream cheese icing, and coconut cake with vanilla icing. I think I made enough so that every guest could try one of each treat, and from the looks of things, I wasn't far off. It was big, elaborate, and a labor of love. If you are interested in a dessert buffet, call me. I'll try and figure out what to charge!

2 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I have to take issue with this post, specifically that it's acceptable to eat "2 or 3" mini desserts. I had at least 5 desserts at the shower, and then more for dinner! (What am I going to do when I can't use pregnancy as an excuse to consume massive amounts of sweets?) Everything was amazing and delicious. And that was the first time I've had your truffles I think - OMG. So delicious. Thanks again Jen!