Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hello Kitty Cookie Favors



I was never a Hello Kitty fan as a kid, but I have to admit that she's pretty lovable in fondant! These cookies were party favors that went with the Hello Kitty Birthday Cake. I made my favorite homemade sugar cookies and added a hot pink frosting glaze on top. Then, while the glaze was still tacky, I added the fondant cutout of Hello Kitty's face. Now I have been looking for a HK cookie cutter for a while, and I just can't seem to find one without ordering from some weird Hong Kong-based vendors on Ebay. But I thought I was rather ingenious when I found a little tin of sour candies shaped like her head at the checkout stand at Michaels. Turns out the top of the tin worked as a pretty decent cutter for the fondant. That saved a lot of time on this project (I had to hand cut each head with a knife the last time I made HK cupcakes!) I made the eyes, nose and bow from fondant as well. The whiskers I drew on with an edible marker. Each cookie got its own cellophane bag with a pink bow (I always bag my cookies, but they don't photograph well through the plastic!) I admit that the fondant isn't as yummy as royal icing, but in this case I decided the design just looked better with the smooth fondant. And we did have a family cookie taste test, which they still passed. I love finding new techniques!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what is the glze made out of, could I just do a pink buttercream or will that not work? They are adorable btw. I am making them for an order next month how much would you charge for these individually>?