Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Graduation Cap Cake





So this was one of those cakes where the client said "I trust your designs" and let me just figure something out, giving me the colors to use and the graduate's name only. I decided to try an angled-top cake (like those topsy-turvy tiered cakes) and I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out cool, even if the mortar board covered most of it. The square top was just a piece of cardboard that I covered with fondant and stuck on top of the fondant covered cake. The button and tassel I also molded out of fondant, and I used cookie cutters to create the "2010" and "GRAD" on top. Then I piped the rest in white frosting. The cake was lemon with vanilla-lemon custard filling. It was a relatively simple design, but now I'm ready to try a topsy-turvy cake... any takers?


No comments: