Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wedding Cake - Jacqui & Brian





I love my job.  Seriously.  Sure, I'm gaining some lbs and I work weird hours, but it really brings out my creative side and I feel like an artist.  Now I admit that this cake was inspired by a picture in a magazine but it reminded the bride of the ruching on her dress, and it was so different and interesting that I couldn't wait to try it.

The cake was 4 tiers (6", 8", 10" and 12"), served 120 + guests and included layers of chocolate chocolate chip cake, vanilla cake with strawberry filling, and red velvet cake with cream cheese filling.  I wrapped the tiers of cake with strips of fondant that I cut by hand with a pastry wheel to give it a textured edge.  Then I brushed the whole cake with pearlized luster dust which defined the edges and gave it an elegant sheen.

I topped the cake with a bouquet of hand-made sugar flowers.  I molded each petal out of gumpaste, and brushed on a little color detail.  I made green cymbidium orchids, light pink chrysanthemums, wine colored calla lilies and pink hydrangea blossoms.  I also added some of the hydrangea flowers in a few places around the cake, adding some piping detail for interest.  The cake turned out even better than I had hoped, and I don't know who was happier - me or the beautiful bride.

Congratulations you two!  Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day!!!  xoxo  

1 comment:

robin chapa said...

ok... this one is breathtaking-- I've never seen anything like it. If I was getting married tomorrow, I'd want THIS to be my cake-- love it!