Monday, June 6, 2011

Vintage Wedding Cake Trio





Three beautiful cakes for one beautiful wedding!  I also got to coordinate the day's events on top of making these three cakes.  The wedding was in Old Town San Diego and these cakes really complimented the feel of the whole event.  The theme of the day was "vintage" and "rustic", with colors of ivory, khaki and olive green, live olive topiaries for centerpieces, olive branches tucked in the napkins, and lots of candlelight in a historic courtyard at the Cosmopolitan Hotel.  [A shout out here to the Cosmopolitan - what a beautiful property in an awesome location - right in the middle of Old Town.  The food was good, the rooms were quaint, and the beds super comfortable!  I give it a thumbs up.]

OK, back to cake.  These cakes were meant to look "vintage" and homemade.  So I used classic techniques to decorate in ivory buttercream.  The square cake was red velvet with cream cheese filling.  I textured the frosting with a spatula to give it some interest, and added buttercream roses and fondant leaves to the top.  The round cake in front (top photo) was chocolate chocolate chip cake with vanilla custard filling.  I used a combing tool to texture the edges, then added an olive branch to the top, which I molded from fondant and brushed with luster dust.  The other round cake was lemon cake with lemon and cream cheese filling.  I piped a basket weave pattern to the sides of the cake, and finished with a shell border on bottom and a reverse scroll border on top.  Then I made the lemon blossoms and leaves out of fondant and placed them on top. I was really happy with the way they turned out (and super happy that they survived the drive to San Diego!)  They looked so beautiful and wedding-y, and the special touch of the cake table was the actual vintage cake topper from the bride's grandparent's wedding cake.  It was a special evening and I was honored to be a part of it.  Congrats Kim & Kris!  xoxo 

No comments: