Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bridal Shower Mini Purse Cupcake Tower





I am such a geek when it comes to cake stuff.  I had bought these cool little sets of purse cutters last summer at the cake convention, and hadn't had the chance to use them yet.  So I was SO excited (like really, I need to get out of this kitchen more) when the opportunity came my way.  These cupcakes were for a beautiful bridal shower (really gals...the decor was awesome) and they added an element of fun to an elegant event.  The cake was vanilla with strawberry filling, covered with cream cheese icing.  I piped a scroll pattern all over the cake, added a border of fondant pearls at the bottom with a few bright colored fondant flowers.  For the top of the cake, I added a mini bouquet of real hydrangeas in a greenish white color.  The matching cupcakes were also vanilla cake with strawberry filling and a dollop of white cream cheese icing.  I made all the toppers out of fondant: the little double layer flowers plus all the mini purses.  Coordinating with the bride's wedding colors, I cut out each bag from white, black, fuchsia and lime fondant which I textured to resemble fabric patterns.  Then I assembled each little purse and decorated with mini fondant flowers, luster dusts and metallic dragees.  I even made a little bride and groom purse!  These little works of edible art were worth the wait.  So adorable.  And I just love the presentation of the mini cake on top of my custom stand with the cupcakes below.  It was wedding-ish and whimsy all in one.

1 comment:

JOY said...

Jennifer - LOVE it!!! Gorgeous!