Monday, March 7, 2011

Ni Hao Kai Lan Birthday Cake #2






Thanks to the blog "Hostess with the Mostess", I get a lot of inquiries for Kai Lan cakes. So when I got this order, I decided to mix up the design a bit.

This cake was all chocolate chocolate chip cake with a cookies & cream custard filling. I covered the cake in vanilla buttercream and then aqua blue fondant. Then I added some hills, bushes and tree trunks that I cut out of fondant. Then I made the basic characters out of fondant, cutting each one out by hand and drawing in details with edible markers, and added them to the scene. Instead of the dragon from my first Kai Lan cake, I decided to add the strings of lanterns and the big white banner for the birthday girl. I finished the design by adding individual leaves and flowers and piping in some white details. For the top, I made a number four out of chocolate and attached it to another patch of leaves and flowers. I hope this cake put a big smile on Charlotte's face and that she had a very special 4th birthday bash!

2 comments:

Amanda Galbreath said...

Cutest Cake ever
Www.amandas-events.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love this cake! Would really like to get a cake similar to this for my daughters 2nd birthday!