Monday, March 28, 2011

Yo Gabba Gabba Birthday Cake






My kids have not yet discovered the Yo Gabba Gabba craze, and I think I'm glad. I watched a 30 second trailer on the web and wanted to stab my eye with a fork. But it seems to have a cult following. Who am I to judge? I used to watch Kroft Superstars and think it was good (check out channel 3 on Saturday morning if you need a dose of nostalgia!) I think my mom gave me the best compliment on this cake: "wow, you managed to make those ugly characters look cute!" And it did turn out really colorful and fun! I made a vanilla cake with strawberry filling and covered it with white fondant. I used watered-down food color to paint a color changing background on the cake. Then I added fondant to create all the different "lands" from the show. I cut all the characters out of fondant and attached them to the bottom tier: Toodee, Foofa, Muno, Brobee, and Plex. Then I topped the cake with a small rectangle cake covered in gray fondant that I made into a boombox. The final addition was the birthday boy's favorite character: DJ Lance Rock. I actually made him 3D out of fondant using a push mold. Then I made him popping out of his radio and holding the birthday sign. It was an adventure in cake making! I hope I did the show justice.

1 comment:

sharshar said...

You did a fantastic job on the Yo Gabba GAbba cake! I am planning on making a Yo Gabba Gabba cake for my daughter for her birthday; however she wants just a Toodee cake. She loves watching Nick Jr. and good thing we get TV everywhere because she can now keep up with the latest shows even on-the-go thanks to DISH Network. As a DISH employee I can tell you that with the Sling box you can stream live TV content and DVR content onto my iPhone, iPad, even Android. It really is TV everywhere. You should go to www.dishnetwork.com for more info.