Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pokemon Cake





This 2-tiered "death by chocolate" cake was for a fellow baker who just didn't have time this year to do the cake herself. So I was honored when she asked me to complete it for her. She provided me with a picture of a cake she found on the internet, plus she gave me actual Pokemon toys to use as cake toppers. So this was going to be a slam dunk! But of course, when the cakes were baked, iced and stacked, there wasn't enough room for the Pikachu toy to fit on the cake. So I had to make my own Pikachu out of fondant. I was kind of glad...all those toys to decorate felt like cheating! So I was happy with the way my little yellow friend turned out. Everything on his body was molded with fondant, then I drew on his nose and mouth with an edible marker (by the way, those markers are really cool! Try them some time...) The red bands and letters on the cake were also cut from fondant, as were the stars and lightning bolts. And the big Poke Ball on top was a toy (don't think I baked that too!) I can't take credit for the design, but the execution turned out well. And I hear the birthday boy Teyo was very happy. Phew!




1 comment:

Kein said...

That is an amazing cake!!!