Saturday, June 27, 2009

Under the Sea Cupcakes





Aren't these just so colorful & festive? Thank you Nataleah for having such a fun birthday theme and letting me go crazy with the cupcakes! I created each of these six designs: beach, oyster & pearl, octopus, crab, fish, and the 3-cupcake mermaid on top. All the shells & starfish were molded out of chocolate. I made all the animal "parts" (octopus arms, crab limbs, fish fins) also out of chocolate (I hand draw my own templates). The "sand" was a mixture of graham cracker crumbs and raw sugar. The "ocean" is blue & white frosting applied with a spatula. The octopus is a double cupcake to make it 3D. The seaweed & coral I hand-piped out of royal icing, and the pearls and colorful "rocks" were all candy. So yes, everything (other than the umbrellas and the birthday sign) was edible. And the mermaid was a mixture of piped frosting, molded chocolate, and candy pearls. For a final touch. everything got a generous dusting of edible "pixie dust" glitter (a must for a 4 year old birthday girl!) As far as flavors, the cupcakes were vanilla and chocolate chocolate chip with vanilla and cream cheese icings. These were so much fun to make. Bring on the kids' parties! (I think they're my favorite!) And Nataleah couldn't wait to get her fingers in the frosting. Happy birthday, Beautiful!
P.S. I've got to give "props" to my Dad (the original MacGyver) for building my cool cupcake stand. It's the perfect way to show off my work. Thanks, Dad! (It's available for rental when ordering cupcakes).

1 comment:

Bakerella said...

Your Sea cupcakes are fantastic.

Really fun and creative.