Thursday, June 14, 2012

Alice in Wonderland Inspired Tea Party Cake





This 3-tier cake was for a first birthday and was much cuter in person! (Sorry for the bad photos...camera batteries gave out and I had to use my phone).  The tiers were covered in pink and purple alternating fondant.  Then I added simple shapes (stripes, hearts, and teapots) to each tier.  I then added the cutout "Alice" silhouette (which was taken from the party invitation) in fondant to the bottom layer.  I created some gumpaste flowers for the side of the cake.  Then I molded a pocket watch from fondant and painted the outside with gold luster paint.  The tea cup on top of the cake was molded from chocolate and hand painted.  I then filled the cup with vanilla cake and topped it with a dollop of strawberry buttercream and some "pixie dust" glitter (this cup o' cake was the "smash" cake for the first birthday party).  The cake tiers were german chocolate cake, lemon cake, and vanilla cake.  I thought it was a simple and fun representation of the Alice in Wonderland theme.  

No comments: