Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Monogram Cake with Baby Shoes






Ever since I went to the ICES convention, I've been wanting to try these little baby shoes! So I was excited when I got this project and it just needed the shoes for the finishing touch! The cake was for a baptism; it had layers of vanilla and cookies & cream cake with chocolate Bavarian cream filling. I covered the cake with white fondant and quilted the sides with my wheel tool. On top, I added a cut out circle of fondant and carved the baby's initials. Then I added the purple ribbons, bows and flowers out of fondant. The crowning touch were the shoes; I bought some special tools at the convention and molded pieces of purple fondant into these darling scalloped sandals. I added flower buttons and a little luster dust to shine them up. I finished the cake by piping Swiss dots on the top and at the intersections of the side quilting. The design combined elements from 3 separate cake photos that the client sent me, but ultimately ended up being a unique design in itself. So bring on the baby shoe cakes! I have a couple more patterns to try...

No comments: