Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dora the Explorer Birthday Cake






This cake was inspired by a couple of my other cake designs. The theme was Dora and the colors for the party were hot pink, yellow and orange. So I designed this cake to be super fun and girly with a bit of Dora and her friends Boots and Isa. The cake was 3 tiers: lemon cake with vanilla custard, chocolate chocolate chip cake with chocolate custard, and coconut cream cake with coconut cream filling. The whole cake was covered in vanilla butter cream, then a layer of pink fondant. I added rolling hills, trees, and 3D leaves and flowers all out of fondant. Then I added large rolled roses in yellow and orange at the bottom of the cake and on the top tier. I hand-made the Dora characters out of fondant and added details with a food writer marker. I piped the white bead border and the flower centers out of white butter cream. Then to finish off the design, I added a "1" which I hand-molded out of fondant to the top. I also made a banner of fondant and wrote "Happy Birthday" with my favorite markers. I cut out the letters for the birthday girl's name out of pink fondant and gave them a little stitching detail, then attached them to the top tier. This cake was Hannah-approved (my 4-year-old critic daughter), so I felt good about the overall product. Hope you liked your cake, Sonya!

No comments: