Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pink Baby Bottle Cake





Wow! Two pink cakes in a row! Everything has been blue lately, so it was fun to do a girly baby shower cake this time. Did I mention how I love it when my friends order cakes and say, "oh I don't know...I trust you!" My instructions were "pink", "classy", and "wow". So this is what I came up with. I really wanted to try sculpting another cake, so I thought the bottle would be fun. I stacked four little 4" round cakes (new cake flavor - "mud pie") with frosting between to create the bottle. I carved a little off the top to round the top edge. Then covered the stack with white fondant. Then I molded a nipple and a ring for the bottle top out of fondant. I set the bottle on a 9" round cake (vanilla with raspberry filling) that I covered with pink fondant. I had to insert a wood dowel that ran all the way through both cakes for stability, but that seemed to do the trick. I finished off the base cake with white fondant polka dots and piped a bead border at the base of both cakes. Then I finished the bottle with a big pink fondant bow, and gave the bow and nipple a little luster dust for sparkle. I love the way it turned out, and I was proud of the fact that I just kind of thought of it myself (I'm usually surfing the web and magazines for ideas). Woo hoo! I just didn't think about how tall it would turn out. Luckily, it was going directly to the party...I had to take out a shelf in my fridge to fit it in! Phew.


No comments: