Sunday, October 4, 2009

German Chocolate Cake





















Ok, so as far as decorating goes, this cake is pretty simple. But I wanted to blog about it anyway because I was so excited to make a new flavor - German Chocolate.So it's not really "new" - I've made it before a long time ago, but I never made my own coconut pecan filling / frosting. When making it for my family, I have [gasp] bought the canned stuff! But I busted out mom's recipe and made my own filling on the stove this time. And I'm so glad I did. The recipe made a ton of filling, so I got to fill a couple cupcakes with it as well and...HEAVEN! This 8" round cake was my usual construction of 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling, although I topped the cake with filling as well so there were 4 layers of filling this time. Then I used my homemade light chocolate frosting to cover the sides. So I can now offer German Chocolate cake and cupcakes - light chocolate cake with homemade coconut pecan filling. Meanwhile, I am enjoying coconut pecan-topped cookies, bagels, toast, etc... Mmmmmm.

No comments: