Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pink Peony Engagement Cake






This sweet and simple cake was for an engagement party.  The bride chose shades of pink for her wedding (makes me think of "blush" and "bashful" from Steel Magnolias!) and selected the wedding date according to when peonies are in bloom.  So I created this 2 tier chocolate chocolate chip cake covered in pale pink fondant with a pearl shimmer.  Then I added the bright pink peony as the star of the cake.  I started with a gum paste center that I covered with smaller petals.  Then I cut each larger petal out of gum paste, rolling them thin and curling each one.  I wired each large petal and pulled them all together with floral tape to create one large, semi-open bloom.  It took over 20 petals in all, and I brushed each one with a darker pink petal dust to give the flower some depth.  I placed the bloom on the lower tier and to the side of the cake to add some interest.  Then to keep the cake clean and sleek, I wrote "congratulations" to the happy couple by piping onto the cake board.  The peony was a labor of love - these flowers are spectacular in person and a lot of work in sugar.  But SO worth it.    [Side-note to self: Who knew that even my love of flowers would be nurtured in this career path?  I am so lucky to love my job!]

No comments: