Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jet Ski Cake 50th Birthday





This cake was a fun experiment in "not quite 3D".  I decided to do a different technique here by covering the cake with fondant, then spreading icing on top to create the water effect.  Then I molded the jet skiier out of fondant, using a push mold for the body parts and hand molding the jet ski myself.  I added the clothes in fondant, made the jet ski handle and the skier's right side kind of pop out of the cake.  Then I added details (hair, cool guy glasses, tattoo armband, jet ski markings) with edible paints, markers and luster dusts so that the skiier resembled the birthday boy.  The background hills I cut out of fondant and brushed on some color to resemble a scene at the river.  Then I piped blue icing waves around the edges, added some white wave designs for interest, and added buoys to the corners to drive home the 50th theme.  The cake was vanilla with strawberry filling and was a giant hit with the guests.  From the photos I saw, it looked like a great party!  

No comments: