Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Margarita Hawaiian Cake





If the "Margarita Man" had a "rent-to-own" program, my cousins would be giving those babies out at Christmas by now.  So it is only fitting that they get my first cake featuring the favorite family drink.  This particular cake was for my cousin Genell on her 21st birthday.  She was looking forward to joining us for margaritas this time, since she had never, ever tasted alcohol before this party.  So I merged the margarita with the Hawaiian party theme and this was my result.

The bottom tier of the cake was cookies & cream cake with cookies & cream filling (a cousin favorite).  The top layer was my (what else?) margarita cake with a lime scented buttercream filling.  I covered the whole cake with hot pink fondant and wrapped the top tier with brown fondant that I molded and painted to resemble bamboo.  On the bottom tier, I piped white hibiscus flowers with white buttercream and brushed the icing to create an embroidery effect.  Then I spun a rich, emerald color liquid sugar into a margarita glass and ....  JUST KIDDING!  It's a plastic glass from the party store.  (It's a spatula, not a magic wand!)  I filled the glass with more margarita cake, piped on icing, and added a fondant wedge of lime and a real straw.  I finished the cake with a few gum paste and fondant flowers (orchids, stephanotis and plumeria).

I have done a few first birthday cakes where the top tier of the cake was a large cupcake that you can remove and give to the birthday boy/girl as a "smash" cake.  I decided this one is the adult version of that cake (where the smash cake gets you smashed! ha).  My cousin got to take the glass off the cake and walk around the party with her own personal 21-year-old cupcake.  Fun!  Let the drink-cakes begin!

    

No comments: