Sunday, February 27, 2011

Princess Castle Birthday Cake






I loved doing this cake. Maybe it reminded me of my childhood...not because I was a girly girl who liked princesses (I wasn't). I actually was a Lego girl. And my Lego's of choice were castle Lego's! So I got to channel my inner architect and build a cool castle. This cake was for a special little princess at her 5th birthday party. I made a larger square cake (chocolate chocolate chip) and topped it with a smaller round cake (cookies & cream). Then I made 4 king size cupcakes and 4 regular cupcakes, cut a quarter out of the cupcakes and fitted them to the corners of the square cake. I topped the small cake with more cupcakes, then covered the whole cake in white butter cream icing. I added ice cream cones to the tops of the cupcake "turrets" which I covered in a thin layer of corn syrup then rolled in pink and white sanding sugar. I made the front doors, windows, bricks, and purple strips around the ice cream cones all with fondant. Then I added pink icing borders and white icing decorations around the windows and doors. I finished the castle by piping green leaves and vines with yellow flowers, and added some pink fondant flowers as well. The final touch was the fondant "crest" with the birthday girl's age and a swag banner across the front with a special birthday wish. With all the princess stuff at my own house, I'm surprised that this was my first princess castle cake! Hopefully not my last.

No comments: