Sunday, January 2, 2011

Circus Tent Birthday Cake & Cupcakes





These treats were for a first birthday party with a circus theme. I made a cake with alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate cake and chocolate filling. I created the "tent" top on the top tier by carving the cake into a point and covering the whole cake with buttercream icing. Then I covered both tiers with fondant; white on the bottom layer and yellow on the top. I rolled out some red fondant and made stripes for the tent, plus a ribbon for the bottom of the cake. I added details with fondant in primary colors, including some animals that I cut out and stamped with a set of "animal cracker" cookie cutters that I got from Williams Sonoma. I used the same brightly colored details to top the cupcakes as well, which tied them in with the cake nicely. It was really bright and fun, and I hear that they were the hit of the party. So fun!

No comments: