Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cal Poly Pomona Graduation Cake






When my cousin was asked what she wanted on her graduation cake, she said "wouldn't it be funny if Jen could make the CLA building out of cake?!" So naturally, I had to try it. I love a challenge. And it was!
This cake was a feat in engineering, at least in cake. I (tried to) create what they call the most recognizable building on the Cal Poly Pomona campus. It is, in fact, triangle shaped with an asymmetrical roof line, so pretty complicated to build. But luckily I found my building inspiration when I came across some long stir sticks from Starbucks. I created the open roof structure by hot gluing the sticks together and sticking them in the cake. Then I wrapped fondant around the sticks to hide them. The base cake was red velvet with cream cheese icing, and the building was cookies & cream cake with vanilla buttercream. The triangle building cake was 6 layers of cake, which I have since found out was a bit too much. The cake actually started to implode on the drive to the party. Luckily, this was for family, so when the "leaning tower of Pomona" showed up at the grad party, they were all good sports. In the past, I have managed to escape the learning curve, but I guess it caught up with me this time. Oddly enough, I was informed that the building has been marked for demolition...maybe I'm just psychic! Congratulations Amanda! It's nice to hear that someone graduated in 2010 and got a job out of college befitting their major... There is hope for the future after all.

No comments: