Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Martini Birthday Cake




So with the weather so hot lately, I guess we're all looking for a summer cocktail.  This cake was inspired by a fan of the Stoli Blueberry Martini.  I made a fun, girly cake by covering a red velvet cake with fondant zebra stripes and adding a blue ribbon border and bow.  I topped the cake with a fondant cocktail size napkin which became the perfect coaster for the martini on top.  For the drink, I again used a plastic martini glass and filled it with pineapple cake.  Then I actually poured a little Malibu rum over the cake and topped with frosting (rum cake, right?)  So I guess it was more like a pina colada in a blueberry colored glass.  Still tasty though.  For a pop of color, I added the rolled roses in hot pink and tucked in a couple of rhinestone picks for a little bling.  The finishing touch was the fondant olive on a drink stirrer for the top of the cocktail.

No comments: