Monday, March 28, 2011

Ariel / Little Mermaid Birthday Cake





My daughter, who turns 5 next month, has informed me that she's "all growed up". So when I was asked to make an Ariel cake for a girl turning 6, I decided to give it a level of sophistication. I made this strawberry cake with vanilla pastry cream filling and covered it with an aqua blue butter cream icing. First, I piped on white coral and green seaweed. Then I added fondant fish, flowers and bubbles. Next I molded some shells, sand dollars and starfish out of white chocolate. For a final touch, I added edible glitter, luster dust, and candy pearls. Then, for the special mermaid on top, I molded Ariel out of fondant (with the help of a push mold) and added details with a food marker and luster dust. She turned out so beautiful... now I will be ready for my daughter's princess birthday!

No comments: